Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Personal Confession

Charles Davis Before Charles Davis left the Church, he wrote an article in the Review America which is really thought provoking: Summary of what he wrote in that article: "After Vatican II I was enthusiastic about the pros­pects for church renewal, for updating and changing structures. I offered wonderful new theology of Vatican II to huge audiences. There was so much enthusiasm in me about the new theology. But gradually it dawned upon me that the people who listened to me were not seeking a new theology; they were seeking God. They were not looking up to me as a theologian with a message, but they were looking up to me as a priest, who might be able to offer them God." "Then I would look into myself and realize with a sinking heart that I could not offer them God; I barely had Him myself! There was a great void in my heart- and the busier I was with things like church reform and updating structures, even with liturgical renewal, and scripture studies and pastoral methods, the easier it was for me to escape from God, to escape from the void in my heart." What a down to earth, personal, bold confession! ======= From Anthony de Mello, S.J., Contact with God (1990), pp.24-25.