Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Jackson Mosha Otto, S.J.: R.I.P.

Funeral Mass of the Resurrection... (11 May, 2009)

Funeral Mass of the Resurrection... (11 May, 2009) At Pedro Arrupe Community of the Society of Jesus, Nairobi, Kenya. "I met Jackson for the first time when I was leaving Canisius House (Kinshasa, DRC) for my regency. Jackson just reached Canisius from his Country, Tanzania. Now when I look back to the few days I spent with him, I must say that Jackson was one of the best Jesuits I ever had the grace to meet. He was so calm, so composed. Each one of his words or his actions seemed to be inspired by a life of prayer and humility. I do not remember ever seeing him angry or complaining. He was always ready to help or to enter into a fraternal conversation. He used to call people papa or baba, Swahili for 'father'.There is no doubt, he was considering every one as better than himself or as someone from whom he could learn something. One of the memories I have is when one day during the celebration of his birthday at Canisius ( Kinshasa, DRC) when the time came time for him to say a word, he remembered his family and told us very simply, but also with a very nostalgic look, as if he were in the presence of his family: "Whatever I am I own it to my father and my mother, if I am good or bad with you I have learned it from my father and my mother." But you were so good to us Jackson". You challenged our life, you showed us that we could be Jesuits and Africans; we could be young and serious, simple and efficient. May you repose in peace in the land of our ancestors. May the heavenly community sing praises before the Triune God for you and with you! May you pray for the society of Jesus in Africa so that it may give birth to other saints like you, other authentic African Jesuits like you!" LENGE E. WA-KU-MIKISHI, S.J., HEKIMA COLLEGE NAIROBI.

The Surrendering faith, hope and love of the Father, the Mother and the Aunt of Jackson Mosha.
The members of the Jesuit Community mourning the death of
their friend and companion in the Lord...
Mortal remains of Jackson being carried to the grave...
"Death is swallowed up in victory.
O death, where is thy victory?
O death where is thy sting?...
thanks be to God, who gives us the victory
through our Lord Jesus Christ."
(1 Cor 15: 55-57)
Till we see face to face!
Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord! May perpetual light shine upon him!
Jackson's death flowers into eternal life
in all its polychromatic splendour!
His life has changed, but not ended!
May the Risen Lord easter in him!
----------
Photos: Ndung’u Francis Njuguna, S.J.
Hekima College, Nairobi. ---------- “Thanks for sharing the sad news on your website. I am a high school friend of Jackson, and last time we spoke was early this year. It is such a sad, sad time for most of us who knew him. I found it quite a strange coincidence that he will die on my birthday! perhaps a reminder for many years to come. Lets us know what else is planned, I let some Tanzanians folks know and perhaps may attend funerals. Amani J. Kitali, BSc, MPH, New Jersey, US.
-----------------
"I am friend of Jackson since Secondary school and thru youth groups, woke up to a text this morning about his death. I remember him as principled, disciplined, purposeful brother. He devoted his life since an early age to serving others. I still can’t believe he is gone... If it is possible kindly post up in your blog more information since many may wonder how and what happened.If you can kindly upload some photos of the upcoming funeral for closure purposes. Life is changed not ended." Edgar Masatu 08 May, 2009.
-----------------------
"He left us... too soon! Jackson challenged us by his great courage, faith, hope and love during now a year of heavy suffering. For some of us, he reminds the figure of early Jesuit’s saints like Aloysius Gonzaga or John Berchmans. He will certainly intercede for all of us who are still on our earthly pilgrimage towards the fullness of life. May he rest in Peace!"
His friend and companion in the Risen Lord,
Michel Segatagara Kamanzi, SJ.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~